What is GBS?
GBS is a type of bacteria infection that can be found in a pregnant woman's vagina and/or rectum and can cause harm to a newborn, potentially resulting in:
• A stillbirth
The statistics are alarming. GBS can be found in the vagina and/or rectum of about:
• 25 percent of all healthy adult women
• Affects about 1 in very 2,000 babies in America
Common symptoms of GBS
There are many common symptoms associated with GBS, including:
• Breathing problems
• Heart and blood pressure problems
• Gastrointestinal and kidney issues
• Fever during labor
• Urinary tract infections
• Labor or rupture of membrane prior to the 37th week of the pregnancy
• Rupture of membrane within 18 hours or before the delivery
If GBS is detected in the mother, it can often be treated through intravenous antibiotics. However, if GBS is not detected, the new baby will be at risk of suffering a serious birth injury.
If you or someone you know has a child who has suffered a birth injury resulting from GBS, contact one of our experienced Northern Kentucky birth injury attorneys at the law office of Schachter, Hendy & Johnson at (859) 578-4444 or (888) 606-5297.